Kthaahthikha

One man, a word-processor, and too much free time.

23 July, 2005

Advatages


There are countless fringe benefits when it comes to studying Literature at university, and the fringe is as wide as Sam Spade's lapels. One such perk is that I have the option of writing a 1500 word parody of any scene from the novel Dracula, provided that it is a scene directly involving the titualr character, and displays an adequate knowledge of the conventions and extravagances of the genre. Being as I am an amateur enthusiast of the world of Baroque purple prose, I am looking forward to this.


The assignment being due in late August, I shall therefore set to read some or all of Vathek, The Castle of Otranto, The Mysteries of Udolpho, and Northanger Abbey (the last of which will, being a spoof, naturally provide me with a total map of cliches - plus I've been meaning to read some Austen one of these days).

I love projects I can get behind. if only detailed historical perspectives on developmental psychology and its underpinning in the Enlightenment were as much fun.

Also, I've been given stewardship of the weekend shift on the web-comic Jesus and the Man,(Keegan Basset having moved-off to work on his own stuff, and more power to him)and I've got a good line-up (in my opinion) ahead of me. It's kind of sad that all of the original JATMites have moved-on, and all that's left is us guys. It's a dark day when I'm called forth to arms. My naturally-suspicious nature keeps predicting some vast, intricate plot to seal my downfall.

Now, on the topic of The Name of the Rose. It's a good book so far, and I was slightly-surprised and highly delighted to find the countless intertextual references within it, including, wouldn't you know it, many major characters being named after famous work of Gothic literature.

I've also developed a number of philosophical connundrums for no good reason, and intend to make bad, simplistic stories of them that get by on the weight of their rather flimsy ideas.

So, all in all, a good week. Except that my sister is growing ill in a disconcerting manner.
Tom Meade, 9:42 pm

3 Comments:

Oooh, now you're working the shift on established comics. Cooo...(darn pigeons)

Also, a get well soon to your sis!
Blogger Jugular Bean, at 24 July, 2005 16:05  
I always thought Jane Austen nattered on far too much about the matrimonial prospects of uninteresting English women for my taste, but she did know how to throw together a well balanced sentence.
Blogger JP, at 26 July, 2005 14:25  
As yet I know not, but shall soon see.
Blogger Tom Meade, at 27 July, 2005 16:54  

Add a comment